Wednesday, October 7, 2009

The Riverwalk on Wheels

As regular readers know, my spiffy Asics gels have heretofore been my conveyance of choice. Yep, ye olde foots. I’m a walker. However, in my post-flood eagerness to more expeditiously check out larger sections of the Riverwalk, I took to wheels.



Last Saturday I rode my granny/clunker/ghetto bike (pictured here) from my house to Oxbow Meadows and back, a trip of about 15 miles. What a beautiful ride! The weather was perfect, the day gorgeous. A good time was had by me and my lonesome – well, by me and my bike – and my binoculars and my bottle of water and my camera, which yielded the following:


There was a "Walk for Diabetes" event taking place at Rotary Park, and I really enjoyed seeing the Riverwalk being used in this way, by such a large and diverse group of folks. Only problem was, those walkers didn't know the rules of walking! They didn't stay to the right; they sprawled out ALL OVER the Riverwalk, making it very difficult for us cyclists to pass. I almost ran all over several of 'em. Cycling through them was treacherous! It's funny how quickly your perspective changes. Only a few days earlier I'd gotten upset with a cyclist who had a stand-off with some children on the Riverwalk.





Here's the sewage treatment plant, located between Rigdon Park and Oxbow Meadows:


And here's the "CWW" topiary at the sewage treatment plant. I guess that stands for "Columbus Water Works." This public sculpture sure beats the hell outta the one the Water Works put in front of the RiverCenter for the Performing Arts. I'd show you a photo of it, but this blog is rated G for general audiences. (Yikes!)




This remaindering down near one of the oxbow ponds suggests that somebody BEAT a gar to death! Go figure.


As I walked closer to take a photo of this remaindering, I heard, off in the bushes on the riverbank, some giggling. I assumed that it was coming from the owner(s?) of these pants, so I quickly clicked and hit the trail.

2 comments:

  1. When we used to walk the rails-to-trails path between Carlton and Duluth, MN, years ago, folks on bikes would warn their approach by loudly announcing, "On your left!" Everyone knew to move over to the right to let the cyclists pass. Sometimes we were cyclists, too. It's good to have some rules of the road so everyone enjoys the path.

    I'm enjoying your photographs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ginger recommended your blog to me...and she's right, I am really enjoying it!

    ReplyDelete