Thursday, October 8, 2009

Intensive vs. Extensive -- Walk or Ride?

When I started this blog, back in the summer, my plan was to cover as much of the Riverwalk as possible, a different section every post. I planned to walk different segments each day, to walk at different times, even to walk some at night.

But then something unexpected happened: I got totally fixated on this one stretch of about two miles right here in front of my house – the stretch from the Eagle and Phenix Dam and Powerhouse to the Homicide Memorial behind the Civic Center. Over the past few months I’ve ventured to a couple of other spots a couple of times, but except for yesterday’s “Riverwalk on Wheels” post, almost every one of the photos and comments I’ve posted has come from this downtown section – and I ain’t even finished! There are lots of photos and comments on this section that you haven’t even seen yet. There’s one titled “Bridges” and one titled “Sculpture,” and one titled “I [heart] Fishing Wells” and one titled “Big Fish I’ve Seen” and there’s more coming on graffiti, and, of course, there are more remainderings and mysteries.

Now that I’ve had my tremendously rewarding bicycle ride down to Oxbow Meadows and back, though, I have a dilemma of two parts: Do I walk or bike? Do I go intensive or do I set my sights on covering ground? Walking yields, obviously, a more intensive study, biking a more extensive one. During the past week I’ve walked one day and biked the next, or vice-versa. And maybe I’ll keep that schedule. Or, maybe I’ll reserve biking for the weekends and walk during the week. I really like the physical act of cycling, but I’m mightily drawn to the intensive approach that only walking affords – so I guess we’ll see what happens. Fred suggests that cold weather is knock my @$$ right off that bicycle. He’s probably right. I don’t like cold weather.

No comments:

Post a Comment