Sunday, July 10, 2011

Return to the Riverwalk


Believe it not, y’all, fair readers, here’s a new entry on the Chattahoochee Riverwalk blog!  Yeah, yeah, yeah – I know it’s been over a year since last I posted. My excuses for not posting are not even very exciting: The weather got hot, and then it got cold. (Go ahead. Call me a fair weather friend. I deserve it.) Then I got busy. (Well, there was the McCullers Conference, and we did go out to Mississippi to help birth a fifth grandchild.) Maybe a little more interesting is the fact that I joined the terrific new downtown Y and do much of my walking there, on a treadmill on the second floor from which – Guess what?! – I can look out over the Chattahoochee!  YAY for the downtown Y and whoever designed the place; it’s great in more ways than one.

But back to the Riverwalk. Lots has happened in the past year and three months. The “new part” right north of the Powerhouse has opened, the shad have run yet again, and, sadly, “Tricycle Man” (Mr. James McMinn) moved away. I’ve really missed seeing Mr. McMinn and his trusty tricycle, and I’ve missed our occasional conversations. Mr. M. has moved over into Phenix City, nearer family, where, he assures me, he has a good place to ride his tricycle.  It’s not on the River, though. In honor of my Riverwalk friend Mr. McMinn, I post this photograph from last year:


Here are a few photos from the brand new part of the Riverwalk just north of the Powerhouse (Eagle and Phenix), just south of the 13th Street Bridge.  













I'm interested in the presence of so many arches -- some even half-buried --










I know that picture is sideways, but you can see the arch better with it sideways, in my opinion.


Just a half-arch.




I love this one coming up -- the mullein, the message, the arch ...




I think that wall is so beautiful, with its several arches and its green plants.








2 comments:

  1. Glad you're back. Love the photos!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks. Glad to be back. Have a new camera I'm trying out, so photos aren't as good as I'd like yet, but I'm working on it.

    ReplyDelete