Friday, January 29, 2010

Right After Flood Number Six

If you've come here looking for an update on last week's "armed robbers on the loose on the Riverwalk" post, you've come to the wrong place. I never did hear another word about the incident. I read a little blurb in the newspaper about the Ironworks security guard's having been robbed at gunpoint at about 5:30 that morning, but that's all I know. Sorry. I'm usually a better news gatherer than that. It's been a busy week at school.

Okay, back to the Riverwalk. We're in FLOOD NUMBER SEVEN right now! Yes! Parts of the Riverwalk are under water as I type. I very much enjoyed Chuck Williams' article about the flooding in last Wednesday's Columbus Ledger-Enquirer.

While I was looking back online for Chuck's article, so that I could post that link up there, I discovered this article about four Columbus High School kids who got themselves stranded out on the rocks right below the 13th Street Bridge! Apparently it happened on January 15, and somehow I missed that in my walk as well as in the paper. My newshound skills are failing me this week.

Those kids who got stranded out there said that they were out there to take photographs, a noble cause indeed.

Speaking of photographs, I took a few last weekend, right after Flood Number Six:

I agree with what Chuck Williams reported in his article -- that the clean-up crew is pronto on the job after a flood. Please don't assume that this debris was evident for very long. I was down there very soon after the water subsided, on the weekend. The crew was down there first thing Monday morning to start cleaning up.

Does this "ladder thing" look familiar? It ought to. I've taken a couple of photos of the thing-which-is-not-a-ladder over the past few weeks, as it's been floating around down near the Powerhouse. I don't know how in the world it got up here onto the Riverwalk, up under the Dillingham Street Bridge. I have a feeling that there was human involvement, as there's no evidence that the water rose this high in Flood Number Six.

New graffiti on the sign directly in front of our house, and it's a shame, too, as folks really use this map, and now it's obscured --


And, now, for some more pleasant images before I sign off --

My "little spot" has been patched as neatly as it's ever been patched --

I love the perfect way that the water is lapping onto the floor of the south fishing well. If the weather hadn't been so chilly, I'd have taken off my Asics and waded.


I love the bark on this tree --


And the oft-documented gimp tree is gettin' ready to bust wide open into bud!


While the Railroad Bridge enjoys a front row seat.

No comments:

Post a Comment