Thursday, January 21, 2010

A Discovery, Columbus!

Monday, Dr. King Day, was a beautiful day on the Riverwalk, and quite a few folks were out and about walkin', bicyclin', skatin', fishin', readin', gazin' ... My own walk started out as "normal" as my walks ever manage to be, except that Fred was with me, which is not always the case, and he right away spotted a relatively interesting remaindering:


Our walk continued with no major surprises as we walked past the Coca-Cola Space Science Center, noting that the observatory is much more visible from the walkway in the wintertime ...

I'm taken with how some of the flood jetsam has created sculptures ...


I've become interested in this little building near the railroad overpass and assume that its function has something to do with the railroad. I plan to come back to it later and check it out closer.

The supports under the railroad bridge sported some new graffiti ...


I snapped a Cameranocular shot over toward Alabama ...

... checked out progress at Eagle and Phenix ...

And now, dear readers, it's DISCOVERY time. And I must pause here long enough to reluctantly admit to you that I myself did not initially make this discovery. No, alas, my path was blazed by a group of men. Here's the story: Several days ago Fred and his walkin' bud Billy Winn were joined on their regular walk by our friend John Lupold, historian extraordinaire. Now, Fred and Billy are historical, too, but John, well, he is not only historical himself, but he has a specialty in COLUMBUS MILL HISTORY. Uh-huh. So, according to what I heard, Fred and Billy and John were walking around in the Eagle and Phenix area when John showed the other two that one can walk THROUGH a passage in the lobby of Eagle and Phenix Lofts -- pictured here --


and emerge into this neat little park, all enclosed and with a terrific new perspective of the Powerhouse and the Riverwalk and ... Okay, I'll just hush and show you some photos ...



The little park is really lovely. I didn't manage to get as good a shot of the whole park area as I'd have liked.
Over on the River side of the park -- The walkway out to The Powerhouse! It was locked, of course. Years ago I went out that walkway into the Powerhouse, on a guided tour. No tour today -- so I admired from outside the locked gate -- and fantasized ...Lookin' out ...


And down ...
A whole new perspective ...

And straight down ...

I kept feelin' as if somebody was lookin' at me ...
Seriously -- I wondered if this might be a private area, since we did walk through the Eagle and Phenix Loft foyer to get there. But I noticed that the park is also accessible directly from Front Street, right to the north of the lofts, and there are no "private property" signs, and there is even a sign that says, "Eagle and Phenix Lobby and Parking" -- so I felt better about being there and about suggesting that you might visit, too.

Just a recap on how to access this very nice spot -- You can enter on the north side of Eagle and Phenix Lofts, into the parking area for the folks who live in the lofts, or you can enter as we did, by walking through the entrance and passageway on the south side of the E&P Lofts, right "up under" the silver water tank:
I didn't take any photos inside this lobby because I felt as if I were inside somebody's house, but there are some really interesting exhibits and spaces in there. If you're interested in mill history, you'll definitely enjoy a visit.

2 comments:

  1. Hey, I heard from Billy that John told them all sorts of details about how that place works. Amazing.
    Great blog! (and photos)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, that's what Fred said, too. We need to get John to take a bunch of us on a tour. I'd been thinking of doing that. I'll get in touch with John and schedule a time. YEARS ago I tagged along with a class John was teaching at CSU and toured Eagle and Phenix when it was Fieldcrest and making thousands and thousands of towels every day. Totally fascinating! Thanks for reading my blog, by the way. I have fun with it.

    ReplyDelete