Saturday, April 17, 2010

Catchin' Up with the Riverwalk

No, I have not forgotten The Riverwalk. I've been a-walkin' and a-walkin' -- and takin' a photo or two -- I just haven't had time to make blog entries. But today I found a little time, so here's a "catchin' up" entry:

Spring has sprung! Look at good ol' Gimp Tree Number One:


Let's back up a minute and see how she looked just a few weeks ago ...


And here's Gimp Tree Number Two, not even lookin' so gimpy any more ...


Now I'm just gonna throw at ya some random shots from the past few weeks.


I overheard folks in this party say that they were celebrating their wedding anniversary on the Riverwalk, because they'd gotten married in this very spot x number of years ago. (Sorry. I forgot the number.)

Personally, those Segway things don't look like fun to me -- but I've never tried 'em, so ...


An interesting place to picnic, I thought ...










This good citizen was picking up trash along the riverbank ...




Those benches on the new part, still fenced off, are patiently waitin' for me.






What in the world was that pick-up truck doin' over on the Phenix City Riverwalk?










Good citizen Mr. McMinn, aka "Tricycle Man," cleaning up some broken glass on The Riverwalk.

One interesting thing that you can see only when the water is low is a number of various springs that feed into the River. When the water is high they're invisible because they're under water.


I'm fascinated with the ruins of an old sawmill over on the Phenix City side, near the Oglethorpe Bridge.

A mulberry tree near the Promenade Amphitheatre is LOADED with green mulberries. Well, it WAS loaded; it's shedding lots of 'em ...


Fishing line on the grass looked almost like some strange plant ...

This man turned and waved at me. I was so busy waving back that I didn't get a photo ...


Who are these two geezers walkin' along and talkin' so much trash?


Since these two objects, above and below, are color coordinated, I wondered if the same baby dropped both of 'em.






Okay, I don't think I've mentioned earlier that this very flower is pretty much what started the whole Chattahoochee Riverwalk Blog. What happened is that last year, right after we moved here to Front Avenue and The Riverwalk, on one of my very first walks after our move, I spotted, WAY UP UNDER some shrubs near The Promenade Amphitheatre, a small colony of this little blooming flower. I came home, looked them up, and could not for the life of me figure out what they were. Well, here they are again, this year, and I got some photos, and I got Fred in on the quest, and the BOTH of us can't figure out what they are. We're about to decide that they're some sort of tulip-gone-rogue. Yes, I know they look like lilies, but there are things about them that are not lily-like. They are beautiful, though, yes? They last for only a few days, and then they're gone.



I love this shadow that the Christopher Columbus sculpture makes. In fact, I love the shadow a WHOLE lot more than I like that freakin' sculpture, which I may write more about later ...


I love how the girl is executed in pink and the boy in blue ...
Like I said -- Spring has sprung!

Till next time ...





3 comments:

  1. love, love, love it! I'm bound and determined to join you and Unc Fred one day;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Delightful read, I wonder if your rogue tulips still make their appearance......seven years later?

    ReplyDelete