Monday, August 3, 2009

My walk was cut way short today because of a blister on my left heel, created yesterday by a sock that got all funky. I thought I could get out there and beat it today, but without moleskin, and I'm fresh out, I can't. I was down there long enough to get a couple of pictures, though. Here they are:

I hope you can see the white flowers that are cascading down the bank over on the Alabama side. They're too far away for me to tell what they are, but I suspect that they're "man o' the earth," a vine much like a potato vine. It grows wild all over the place around here, and most folks don't know that way down deep underneath the surface of the ground, beneath each of these vines lies a GIANT, edible, potato-like thing. (Is tuber the right word?) Once long ago Fred and I dug one of the things up and cooked and ate it. I don't remember having been particularly impressed. I do know that the things can get to be the size of a basketball. It's weird when you think about what all might be underneath the surface of the earth, huh?
Here is a photo of a close-up of a "man o' the earth." I did not take this photo; I snagged it off the Internet:



This is one of the several homeless folks who set up quarters along the Riverwalk. He was playing his radio and seemed oblivious to me. I walked past him twice and he never acknowledged my presence. We see him almost every morning when shortly after dawn he arrives at the gazebo directly in front of our house, spreads his things out on the railings of the gazebo, and settles in for a couple of hours of reading. This spot where I took his photo today is a few yards down the incline from the gazebo. I guess he spent the night there? That very spot is not quite visible from our front porch.

I really hate that I didn't get to walk today. I was all suited up and everything. The ol' blister is going to be the recipient of some major treatment today and tonight, and hopefully I can get out there and put in a good hour tomorrow. I didn't even get to eavesdrop on anybody! As Montgomery would say, "Dang!"

No comments:

Post a Comment