Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Interruptions

Two unfinished sections interrupt the nearly twenty-mile length of the Riverwalk. One of those interruptions occurs in downtown Columbus between 12th and 14th Streets – that is, between Eagle and Phenix Mill and the 14th Street Bridge (at TSYS). Here’s a picture, taken right behind the Powerhouse:



It’s encouraging to see the progress that’s recently been made to complete this interruption. It looks as if it won’t be too long before we’ll be strollin’ and rollin’ right along here.

Veering a little bit off the subject of interruptions, I’ll add one more photo I took in this spot today – a photo that includes the ever-present “Tricycle Man," who opined that the workers we were watching here are part of the WPA project – “We Play Around.” Tricycle Man told me a lotta other stuff, too, but I think I’ll save that for later.



The other physical interruption in the Riverwalk is further north, at Bibb Mill, an area that looks to me as if it’ll be much more challenging to complete. Here’s a not-so-good photo of the area, taken from about the spot where the walkway ends right now:



One factor that makes this section so difficult is the height of the Bibb dam! In order to get up (or down) that incline, we’re gonna wind up either with one lo-o-o-o-ng incline, or with some steps or some kind of elevator. If we were in Europe somebody might consider a funicular (I love that word!) –




But we ain’t in Europe, so I don’t know what we’ll do. It’ll be interesting to stick around and find out.

3 comments:

  1. This is wonderful. I tune in here from time to time. Spend a fair amount on the R'walk myself (cycling)--especially after eating a feast such as the one we had today! Thanks for going to the trouble.
    Will hope to see you soon, and when I can stick around longer!
    Best
    Allison

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alright for Tricycle Man! He's been waiting decades for an occasion to haul out that WPA chestnut.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, yeah. And he explained it all very "thoroughly." I gave here a MUCH abbreviated version.

    ReplyDelete