Thursday, December 15, 2011

Applesauce Adornment

Before I get to applesauce, I'd like to share with you the excitement I encountered as soon as I stepped out onto the Riverwalk this morning.  First, just as I stepped off the porch, before I even got to the Riverwalk, I knew something was up:



See what that trailer says? It says, "SHERIFF."

And here's what I encountered once I got down to the Riverwalk:



Divers appear to be lookin' for something!


And the law is on their side, if ya know what I mean.




The one guy's jacket says, in big, bold, yellow letters, "HOMICIDE."  Now, you know I'm intrigued!






They told me they were "training," so after I watched for a while and decided that maybe they were telling me the truth, I strolled on ...

It's been a while since I've offered a photo of the gimp tree.  Here she is, looking hardly gimp at all!



But not to worry -- She's still gimp -- Look at her other side:





Strollin' on up the River ... a little remaindering atop a post in the South Fishing Well:



And an update on the state of affairs at the Eagle and Phenix Powerhouse, photos taken this morning:







A historic preservationist friend of mine who shall remain nameless but whose initials are J.L. called the "surgery" that has been performed on this historic machinery "a travesty," and he further stated that the destruction of this historic property gives reason for de-classification of our Riverfront as a National Historic Landmark.  Shame on the folks responsible for this!

Okay, now that I've had my say about that nasty subject, it's applesauce time.  Heading back south from the Powerhouse, I happened to notice ...





And then I noticed the next post and the next and the next ...



Seven posts in a row sported applesauce containers!  Can you see them?  I was so inspired that I wrote a poem:

What immortal hand or eye
Placed applesauce on posts so high?

(With sincere apologies to William Blake as well as to any other poet who ever lived.)

Ciao, and see you on the Riverwalk ...

Cathy

3 comments:

  1. Love the poem.
    Scary that the "powers that be" seem to ignore destruction of the power house.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Cathy---

    Columbia, SC has a riverwalk, too (although not nearly as lovely as Columbus') The first time we went there, we encountered the same sight, except the yellow police tape and myriad of vehicles was all too real. We later learned that one of the residents of the tent city on the opposite bank had jumped into the river to die.

    I'm grateful that you've continued to write this blog. I'm teaching in China, and your posts help me keep up with things and places I love. I miss the Riverwalk.

    I miss you, too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, Sandy! Thanks for reading. Great to hear from you. Hope all is well over there in CHINA! We miss you, too. -- Cathy

    ReplyDelete