Sunday, September 11, 2011

Washing Dishes on the Riverbank, and a Little Johnny Cash ...

I don't know if you can see it in the photos, but the low water has revealed something on the bottom of the river right here in front of our house, near the Promenade Amphitheatre. We think it might be the hull of a boat or a barge:







Several days ago Fred spotted, from up on the Riverwalk, what he thought were plates on the bank below, and even out in the river.

  

For days Fred's been encouraging me to crawl myself down there to see if they are really plates.  Well, today, finally my own curiosity was enough aroused that indeed I did crawl myself down there, across rocks, through the mud, down a slope so steep that I REALLY should not have had my sixty-two year old self down there ... But I did reach the spot where the objects are ...


And lo and behold they ARE plates, and lo and behold ...


Fred followed me down there!

We retrieved one plate, but we did not retrieve the several more that were out in the water, on that slippery marl.  Can you see them?




We discovered that the plates were not old, and assumed that they are cast-offs from some recent picnic. We also discovered that somebody had lost they britches:


Don't know if they were from the same picnic.

I was thrilled to see Skate-Dog Girl back on the Riverwalk, after nearly a two-year haitus! I welcomed her back and she responded that she'd been hiking the Appalachian Trail. I didn't ask if she took along her dogs and her skates, but something tells me ...  Apologies for the blurry photo, but Skate-Dog Girl was movin' on!


There's some new graffiti underneath the Dillingham Street Bridge:


Here's a close-up:


See how low the water is?

 


I've become fascinated with this big ol' log, or whatever it is, that is lodged behind the Eagle and Phenix dam:

Reckon it's an old log -- or some big roller-type piece of machinery from the mill -- or just a tree?

Fred continues to be fascinated with this structure that's located just north of the dam, and visible only when the water is low:


This thing brings to mind a self-portrait, as my kids make fun of my standing with my hands on my hips:


I'm just glad that the photo below is not a self-portrait ...


To quote Johnny Cash, "Sunday mornin' comin' down ..."

(Yes, this is the second time I've posted a photo of a person passed out in a fishing well. Not the same person, not the same day -- but it is the same fishing well.)

3 comments:

  1. Cathy--Just terrific! I learned why the river is low, saw plates from a picnic (were they plastic?), wondered about the story that led to britches being in the river, loved the sign that reminded you of your kids making fun of you with hands on your hips. You have a great eye!

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, the plates are not plastic. They are ceramic -- but not old. Thanks for reading!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm an "arms akimbo" woman myself. What's to make fun of really? Great blog!

    ReplyDelete